Chemical vs. Natural Lice Treatment: The Debate

Chemical V Natural Lice Treatment

Some of the most common head lice treatments that are available over the counter have been on the market for more than 30 years, and while these head lice treatments have been proven to work in the past, the fact remains that the current species of head lice commonly found all over the country has developed some immunity against the active compound found in these treatments.

Why are Head Lice Becoming Resistant to Lice Treatment?

These lice treatments are quickly losing their effectiveness. This compound –called Phenothrin– is a synthetic compound that was designed to kill head lice in humans and has also been used as an ingredient in pesticides and insecticides, approved for domestic used.

As we mentioned before, this compound used to be the go to treatment when it came to dealing with head lice and nits due to its (somewhat) proven efficiency. However, a recent study conducted by the NCAP has shown that these bugs and their eggs have developed a widespread immunity against Phenothrin due to the fact that it is pretty much the only pesticide that has been used for over 30 years to treat head lice. This tends to be a very common pattern that can be observed on the majority of pests and bugs as they tend to quickly develop an immunity against artificially-made pesticides and this is why most major-brand pesticides re-design their formula every few years to stop bugs from developing immunities and lowering the appeal of their products.

Natural Lice Treatments

The fact that these products are quickly losing their effectiveness, along with the fact that the EPA has requested that companies stop using these chemicals in their products due to the severe side effects they can have on humans such as hair loss, dry scalp, itchiness, irritation, tremors and even death on home pets should be a major red flag for any parents who are considering using these harmful chemicals on their family members or on themselves. There are much safer and more effective head lice product alternatives on the market today that actually get rid of lice and nits. Take for example the ClearLice treatment kit. This kit includes a  lice treatment shampoo made out of all-natural ingredients with no artificial pesticides or poisons. The fact that these alternatives provide a much safer lice treatment than their counterparts make us wonder why would anyone want to bring harmful chemicals and pesticides into their home.

This debate could be settled quickly by taking a look at the list of ingredients found in ClearLice line of natural head lice products, let’s start with the enzyme proteins. These enzyme proteins are non-toxic compounds that are naturally biogredable, their job is to break down and digest the keratin that head lice use in their nits to stick to the human scalp and to form the protective shell that surrounds the eggs laid by the head lice. Stopping the hatching of new eggs is an essential part of any effective head lice treatment and enzyme proteins play a vital role in this task.

Another ingredient found in this all-natural treatment is Neem Oil; this oil acts as a natural repellent against head lice and prevents them latching on to the human scalp, thus cutting off their main source of nutrition and drastically reducing their life span to less than 24 hours. As we have discussed in previous posts, head lice typically can survive off their hosts for up to 48 hours and can survive for up to 10 days. Using this tree oil as a repellent is a proven method that has been used in the Indian subcontinent for hundreds of years against head lice.

Another ingredient found in ClearLice line of product is Acorus Calamus, which acts as a natural pesticide and provides a safe alternative for Phenothrin, Acorus Calamus –commonly known as sweet flag- is equally effective when it comes to keeping head lice away as Phenothrin without any of the nasty side effects of Phenothrin.

Finally, another important ingredient that we can find in these products is Wrightia Tinctoria; a flowering plant native to India that has been used for centuries as a natural antiseptic and astringent, and it is used to help the human body recover from sores and wounds caused by the head lice.

As we can see, despite the fact that chemical treatments have been used for decades now, this doesn’t necessarily mean that they are the most effective way of dealing with head lice and nits. In fact, one could argue that there are better alternatives out there that can be used when it comes to dealing with this problem. Why expose your family to harmful chemicals and compounds that don’t even work anymore? Do not live in the past, the time to move on to better alternatives is here. Keep in mind that exposing your family to these nasty chemicals can be counter-productive when it comes to dealing with a head lice problem and perhaps consider switching to an all-natural lice treatment alternative.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Amazon Marketing Agency - ATop Digital